Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Quilts, skirts & sewing - Oh my!

In between my kids' birthday parties this Winter, I found some time to sew together a few little girl skirts, and a couple T-Shirt quilt inspired baby blanket quilts for one of my friends.

First, here are a few of the skirts I've made lately:
For the Houston Rodeo
A Spring flirt skirt!
Inspired by my nephew's Fireman Birthday party


 I love whipping up these skirts for a special occasion. They make an fun event extra special - especially since I usually make a second for my daughter's "twin," my niece who is right behind her in age. Whenever those two walk around in these matching skirts, my sister-in-law and I always get asked if they are sisters. Here is the girls wearing the fireman skirt's at my nephew's second birthday in March:

Abigail & Lily, March 2013

The other big project I worked on was baby blanket quilts for one of my friends. She wanted them to look like the T-shirt quilt I made for my cousin-in-law Kelly, but with baby blankets instead of T-shirts. It is such a great way to make a keepsake with all those baby things a mom never wants to get rid of... I couldn't say no! I also got to try free motion quilting for the first time on something of this size, so I was pretty excited. I'm happy with how they turned out! Here are some pics from the process:

Top layer sewed together, ready for batting and quilting
Sewed, quilted, and all ready to send home.
A close of the quilting. I did a zig-zag pattern around the boarder of the blanket peces.
The top layer pieced together and ready for quilting
All finished. I quilted the boarder pieces with squiggly lines to add a girly flare. 
A close up of the stitching.

That's all for now! I have a couple projects in the works, as well as some I've already finished (and need to photograph!)... a couple pillows I stitched together for another friend, some more cute, themed skirts, and a special T-shirt quilt for my friend who is pregnant with her THIRD GIRL!! I am so excited to get to work on her project. She's lucky I'm not leaving town for two months - which if you know me, you know that's a pretty big deal - ha.


0 comments:

Post a Comment