Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

The month of the fairy tale



Welcome to the month of the princess/knight/castles/pirates/dragons and all things fairy tale related month! I have been waiting for this month (and the next few months coming up) since I started home schooling. This month in particular I have been planning for a while now. I just hope we have enough time to do everything I have found/came up with!

Since I home school both my daughter and son, it was important to me to make this month about more than just the princess. I saw a super cute idea breaking down the elements of a fairy tale, and although it was a little too old for my preschoolers, it was a great place to get started for our month. I like to plan out our month but weekly themes, so here are the four I came up with:

* The Knight & the Princess: I'm going to go ahead and be honest and say that my daughter knows every Disney princess and their stories by heart. When asked, she can tell you which couples go together, their individual "color schemes," their movie star buddies, the ever romantic songs that go with each story, and why each and every princess is her favorite. I'm not upset by that. I love Disney. I still know every single song by heart and would love to fly on a magic carpet and don't even get me started about Rapunzel's golden locks of hair I wish I could grow. However; I wanted to use this month as an opportunity to talk about the other aspects of a Princess as well, such as their strength, inner beauty, manners, and courage, while still using some of my daughter's 'best friends' as role models - just in a different light. I also chose to do knights instead of the 'Prince' because I wanted to talk about protecting people, standing up to bullies, and strength.

* The castle and the dragon: I think it's important to talk about housing and habitats, and this was a wonderful opportunity to talk about different countries since our country isn't home to castles that are centuries old. It can tough to talk about big ideas like countries and continents with kids this age, but I believe that the only way they learn is.... to learn. If you keep putting stuff off because the concept is difficult to explain or whateverthereason, you'll always make excuses... at least that's the case for me. For that reason, I have tried to push myself this year out of the "age appropriate" excuse when I can and just go for it. Either they get it or they don't. So, we are talking about England, France, Ireland, and Scotland this month- one country a week. I added dragons to this week theme b/c I didn't have anywhere else to put them, and I had a really awesome dragon to put in the knight sensory box!

* Pirates/the concept of "the Villain": The villain concept was a something I have been waiting to talk about with my kids, mostly because bullying is such a pressing issue in schools - and our country - these days. It's starting younger & younger and it's important to talk about this kind of stuff. I decided to take the positive, pro-active approach to this topic, for the same reasons we focus on good choices & good behavior instead of bad choices/bad behavior. Here are a couple books I chose to read during this week:
Have you Filled a Bucket Today? By Carol McCloud
Best Friends by Steven Kellogg
And then I also have some other pirate books, such as Shiver Me Letters & The Night Pirates.






Another special thing we added in this month was a couple days where we focused on Saint Patrick's Day, and Ireland. Stay tuned for my special St. Patty's day blog post, which will feature some themed art projects, snack food, and even a special guest at our home school!

Thanks for reading, y'all!

1 comments: