Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

A tour of our classroom


This is what you see if you walk into our classroom and turn immediately to the left. First up is our shelves, which have everything from toys that match our montly theme, to books & puzzles, stacking blocks, musical instruments and even our Tag & Tag Jr. This will be what the kids use during their "free time" in class. It's hands on and all easily self-playable.

That's not a word. I just made it up.


Directly next that is our art corner. Luckily, these kids have a mom that went to art school... because I just happen to have about 50 left over tablets full of newsprint and drawing paper... perfect for little hands to go crazy on. I can't wait to see what they'll do with these big pads! On the floor is an old splat mat we used to use during those wretched "i like to throw all my food on the floor" stages... perfect for broken crayons and "oopsies! i dropped my open marker on the floor" mistakes that are bound to happen. The paintings above the tablets is something my daughter and I worked on over the summer. We had been painting a lot at the time, and I was trying to explain why I mix my paints with one another to make new colors... so I found a way to do it on her level. Now she always remembers how to make green, purple & orange. Next lesson? How to draw a perfect circle... 



Next up we have our first long wall, which consist of our weekly fine motor on top/puzzle area & ??s book on bottom, our monthly themed sensory box, and our number chart. For the first month of school, our overall theme is FALL (with weekly themes of: fox/apples/tree & leaves/fall - more on this later), our color is RED, our shape is the CIRCLE and our animal is the FOX. Our fine motor & sensory box will change every month to fit our theme. At the end of the wall is my storage/supply closet. Please note that I got this particular piece of furniture when I was bout 14 years old; it has seen better days, though it's still doing it's job quite nicely. I suppose one of these days I'll have to buy some spray paint and give it a face lift. Until then... Here are a few close ups from the left side of the room:

Up above: Play-doh apple pie "baking"


 
 
Underneath: Our puzzle rack and our thinking books: "How Come?" & Children's Encyclopedia


Our sensory box for fall : contains wooden & plastic apples, silk & glitter leaves, wodden & beaded pears, pine cones, metal leaf & apple cookie cutter, leaf wooden & plastic buttons, birds nest with wooden eggs, cinnamon sticks, twine, acrons, wooden & plastic branches with berries... and probably some other stuff. Oh! And a rake! Of course.

 
Next up is our number chart:


And my awesome storage/supply closet: Top shelf is paper, middle is foam cutouts, bottom is coloring/sticker/activity books. Not pictured is my drawers filled with glitter, markers, stickers, confetti, paints, glitter glue, more stickers, play-doh, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, close pins, and all the other random crap I had that will be fun to use. (:






The right side of the room is pretty boring compared to the left side of the room... but it has my favorite spot in the entire class... our reading nook!This blue chair has been a faithful baby rocking chair for the past three and a half years, and I was at a loss as to what I would do with it after we turned my baby's room into his big boy room. Luckily, we needed a chair for reading time. Viola! Next to the chair is our books for the month. There are 13: 3 per week for four weeks, and a little extra one I had to include (Curious George Plants A Seed). Above the chair is a fabric birthday banner I spent countless hours making for my sweet boy's carnival birthday party last year. I hate looking at it all rolled up and sitting on the shelf, so it's getting used. End of story. On each side of the chair are airplane paintings a good friend of mine made for my son's old airplane-themed bedroom. I couldn't stand the thought of not hanging them up when we redecorated. And, since reading brings imagination to life... what better way to start dreaming than soaring to the sky?? Cheesy... perhaps. But they are kids, so it works. And it's my classroom.

Also along this same wall is my school/paying bills/printer's desk. In that purple tub next to the desk is our manipulatives for the month that match our theme. Because I like themes. And printing and laminating is fun. Also cutting. Above my desk is an awesome gift my hubby got for his birthday from his Aunt. This clock came out of the box tick tocking away at the perfect time... and it'll never have to be reset. Which is perfect for me since I'll never remember to reset it. To the right of my desk is our listening station, which I failed to take a picture of because I'm still waiting on a cheapy boombox for our class room. Any takers? And yes, that is a Fox & the Hound record hanging above our future listening station. And yes, it's from my childhood. Which means it's old. Really old.







So that's it! This is my "How I spent my summer vacation by superhero momma." What do you think? What's your favorite spot in our classroom? If you made a classroom at your home, what would you include... or leave out? I always love feedback (:

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're using the bunting banner in your reading corner! I love your Fall sensory tub! It's so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart your sensory box...and that you call it a sensory box.

    ReplyDelete